Walking Tour

21 N. Main St.
UBCC/Bucks County Visitor Center
Meeting place of Quakertown Historical Society. Built in 1850, the restored farmer's barn contains a museum, meeting room and library.
1235 W. Broad St.
Liberty (Bell) Hall
Built in 1772. The Liberty Bell is said to have "slept here" overnight behind this stone building on September 23, 1777 enroute to its wartime hiding place in  Allentown.
1018 W. Broad Street
United Friends School
Built before 1884 as a public elementary and first high school. Abandoned in the 1930's, it became a Quaker elementary school in 1988.
19 S. 10th St.
St. John's Lutheran Church
Built in 1867. Quakertown's first German and first Lutheran congregation. Sanctuary contains fine stained glass windows. Has shared facilities with United Friends.
312 W. Broad St.
Free Press Building
Built in 1869 by Sons of Herman, a secret, mutual aid society for German immigrants.
140 S. Main St.
Heacock Weather Pioneer
Oldest stone house, built in 1769 by John Foulke.
120 S. Main St.
Maus Clockmaker Haus
Home (circa 1812) of noted clockmaker William "Billy" Maus.
1239 W. Broad St.
First Brick Home and Store
Built in 1805 by William Green. Son Richard R. Green carried on the grocery store business until 1892.
137 S. Main St.
Log House
One of town's earliest homes.
236 W. Broad St.
Sine's 5 & 10 Cents Store
Opened in 1912 and still operated by the founding familiy! Features an old-fashioned lunch counter, serving breakfast and lunch, a huge collection of model airplanes "in flight" and a display of vintage postcards and local ephemera. Closed Sundays. Call 215-536-6102.
200 W. Broad St.
Bush House Hotel
Built in 1850 by William Bush during the land boom before the 1852 arrival of the North Pennsylvania RR. Contained the town's only ballroom. Once had a cattle yard containing over 25 cows, 100 hogs and 50 horses.
15 W. Broad St.
Quakertown Railroad Station
Built in 1902 to replace a smaller station dating from the 1852 arrival of the North Penn RR.  This is the largest station in Bucks County and is listed on the National Historic Register. It was gutted by a fire in 1987, but was restored and now leased by the Quakertown Train Station Historical Society. For event rental intormation, call 215-536-7455.
108 E. Broad St.
Trolley Barn

Built in 1896 as the terminal and "trolly carn barn" of the Quakertown-Richlandtown Traction Company. The region's first electric trollys ran from Main & Broad Streets to the heart of Richlandtown. In 1929 the faux medieval castle was converted to a movie house called "The Broad," complete with a piano player during silent films. It became the "Trolly Barn Antique Emporium" in the late 1980's.

26 N. Main St.
Burgess Foulke House Quakertown Historical Society
Built in 1812 by Edward Foulke Sr., whose son was Quakertown's first Burgess (mayor) in 1854. Moved in 1973 from original site on Rt. 309. Monthly tours. Call 215-536-3298

1301 W. Broad St.
Quakertown Savings Bank (1871-1877)
Area's first bank and predecessor to QNB. Built in 1809, home of noted Justice of Peace John Griffith. Passenger terminal of the "Liberty Belle Trolley," Lehigh Valley Transit, 1928-1954.

4 South Main St.
Red Lion Inn
First hotel/tavern built in 1747 by grist miller Walter McCoole. Later owned by Revolutionary War Col. Jacob Savitz. Vital stagecoach stop between capital in Philadelphia and frontier towns of Lehigh. President Polk kin, Col. Tom Polk, other continental officers stayed here September 23, 1777 while escorting Liberty Bell to Allentown. Site of Fries Rebellion rally.
44. S. Main St.
Richland Library Company
Founded in 1788 and chartered as the Commonwealth's first non-profit corporation in 1795. Bucks' third oldest library, America's seventh oldest. Superb collection of local and family history.
Call 215-536-5636
115 S. Main St.
First Drug Store
Built in 1815 by father and son physician-apothecaries, Dr. James Green and Dr. James B. Green.
132 S. Main St.
First Post Office & Store
Built early 1800's; Served as first store and post office of WIlliam Green before 1804. Dr. Samuel Carey, physician, and Mrs. Irene Meredith were later owners.
Main St. & Mill St.
Richland Friends Meetinghouse
Built in 1862 by Richland Monthly Meeting, Society of Friends (Quakers). Earlier meeting-house (circa 1723) was a mile south as Station Road and region's first church and school' later rebuilt here in 1730. From the behinning, the school served Quaker and German communities.
401 S. Main St.
Underground RR Station
Built in 1834 by Quaker potter Richard Moore. Thriving ceramic red ware factory and shop by day; hosted "Underground Railroad" activities at night.
SE Corner Main & Juniper STS.
Quakertown City Harness Co.
Built in 1889 by J.S. Harley on the site of the former Continental Hotel and Bucks County Hotel.
131 S. Main St.
Henry Franklin, Art Custodian, PAFA
Built in 1813, home to early AFrican-American Henry Franklin, runaway son of Jared Franklin, personal slave of Francis Scott Key.

107 S. Main St.
Civil War Orphans School
Built before 1810 by Samuel Nixon. Richard Moore & Thomas Lesterhad a boarding school here in 1818. Civil War Soldiers Orphans School, 1864-67. Later, part of Quaker City Harness.